c. 1855, oil on canvas, 36″ x 29 1/4″, signed lower left: “Rembrandt Peale.” Gift to the Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the Revolution by Craig W. Muckle, M.D., 1953. On loan to the Historical Society of Philadelphia.
The “Porthole” portrait of Washington is one of several by Rembrandt Peale derived from his Equestrian (or Patriae Pater) Portrait of George Washington, painted in 1850. These smaller portraits use the same portrait head as the Patriae Pater but are reduced and modified in appearance. Collectively they have come to be known as The George Washington Copy. The Copy was available in military or civilian dress with the figure facing to the left or the right.